© Marie-Claude Lyonnais
"Must-read" Papers on Inuit Health
As part of his research internship during his studies in medicine, Vincent Paquin realized the project: Sharing knowledge with clinicians in Nunavik: building a selection of 'must-read' research papers on Inuit health
Here is the list of the 20 selected research papers in alphabetical order
- Boucher O, Jacobson SW, Plusquellec P, Dewailly E, Ayotte P, Forget-Dubois N, et al. Prenatal methylmercury, postnatal lead exposure, and evidence of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder among Inuit children in Arctic Quebec. Environmental health perspectives. 2012;120(10):1456-61. Full Text
- Cayer C, Ahmed F, Filion V, Saleem A, Cuerrier A, Allard M, et al. Characterization of the anxiolytic activity of Nunavik Rhodiola rosea. Planta medica. 2013;79(15):1385-91.
- Cerigo H, Macdonald ME, Franco EL, Brassard P. Inuit women's attitudes and experiences towards cervical cancer and prevention strategies in Nunavik, Quebec. International journal of circumpolar health. 2012;71:17996. Full text
- Ethier A-A, Muckle G, Bastien C, Dewailly E, Ayotte P, Arfken C, et al. Effects of environmental contaminant exposure on visual brain development: a prospective electrophysiological study in school-aged children. Neurotoxicology. 2012;33(5):1075-85.
- Fox GJ, Lee RS, Lucas M, Khan FA, Proulx J-F, Hornby K, et al. Inadequate diet is associated with acquiring Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in an Inuit community. A case-control study. Annals of the American Thoracic Society. 2015;12(8):1153-62. Full text
- Fraser SL, Nadeau L. Experience and representations of health and social services in a community of Nunavik. Contemporary nurse. 2015;51(2-3):286-300.
- Fraser SL, Muckle G, Abdous BB, Jacobson JL, Jacobson SW. Effects of binge drinking on infant growth and development in an Inuit sample. Alcohol. 2012;46(3):277-83.
- Gagne D, Lauziere J, Blanchet R, Vezina C, Vaissiere E, Ayotte P, et al. Consumption of tomato products is associated with lower blood mercury levels in Inuit preschool children. Food and chemical toxicology. 2013;51:404-10.
- Hordyk SR, Macdonald ME, Brassard P. End-of-life care in Nunavik, Quebec: Inuit experiences, current realities, and ways forward. Journal of palliative medicine. 2017.
- Hordyk SR, Macdonald ME, Brassard P. Inuit interpreters engaged in end-of-life care in Nunavik, Northern Quebec. International journal of circumpolar health. 2017;76(1):1291868. Full text
- Kellett S, Poirier P, Dewailly E, Sampasa H, Chateau-Degat M-L. Is severe obesity a cardiovascular health concern in the Inuit population? American journal of human biology. 2012;24(4):441-5.
- Lemire M, Kwan M, Laouan-Sidi AE, Muckle G, Pirkle C, Ayotte P, et al. Local country food sources of methylmercury, selenium and omega-3 fatty acids in Nunavik, Northern Quebec. The Science of the total environment. 2015;509-510:248-59. Full text
- Medehouenou TCM, Ayotte P, St-Jean A, Meziou S, Roy C, Muckle G, et al. Overweight and obesity prevalence among school-aged Nunavik Inuit children according to three body mass index classification systems. The Journal of adolescent health. 2015;57(1):31-6. Full text
- Morse AL, Goodman KJ, Munday R, Chang H-J, Morse JW, Keelan M, et al. A randomized controlled trial comparing sequential with triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori in an Aboriginal community in the Canadian North. Canadian journal of gastroenterology. 2013;27(12):701-6. Full text
- Pufall EL, Jones-Bitton A, McEwen SA, Brown TM, Edge VL, Rokicki J, et al. Prevalence of zoonotic anisakid nematodes in Inuit-harvested fish and mammals from the eastern Canadian Arctic. Foodborne pathogens and disease. 2012;9(11):1002-9.
- Saudny H, Cao Z, Egeland GM. Poor self-reported health and its association with biomarkers among Canadian Inuit. International journal of circumpolar health. 2012;71. Full text
- Thivierge K, Iqbal A, Dixon B, Dion R, Levesque B, Cantin P, et al. Cryptosporidium hominis Is a newly recognized pathogen in the Arctic region of Nunavik, Canada: molecular characterization of an outbreak. PLoS neglected tropical diseases. 2016;10(4):e0004534. Full text.
- Turgeon O'Brien H, Blanchet R, Gagne D, Lauziere J, Vezina C. Using soluble transferrin receptor and taking inflammation into account when defining serum ferritin cutoffs improved the diagnosis of iron deficiency in a group of Canadian preschool Inuit children from Nunavik. Anemia. 2016;2016:6430214. Full text.
- Turgeon O'Brien H, Gagne D, Vaissiere E, Blanchet R, Lauziere J, Vezina C, et al. Effect of dietary calcium intake on lead exposure in Inuit children attending childcare centres in Nunavik. International journal of environmental health research. 2014;24(5):482-95.
- Van Wagner V, Osepchook C, Harney E, Crosbie C, Tulugak M. Remote midwifery in Nunavik, Quebec, Canada: outcomes of perinatal care for the Inuulitsivik health centre, 2000-2007. Birth. 2012;39(3):230-7.